With 20 inches of snow on the ground, I'm having a wonderful "office" day catching up on some website stuff, book stuff, mail, etc. I get so much incoming mail that I keep a fairly large basket on my desk to collect it till I'm ready to process it - usually once or twice a week. Today, my sweet cat Alex decided he wanted to help! I couldn't resist grabbing the camera to share it with y'all! It's just too cute!
Here's my PURRfect strategy for process incoming mail - (help from the cat is optional!)
1. When the mail comes in, immediately pull out all the junk and put it in the recycle container. Except for stuff with credit card info one. That goes into the TO DO basket for later shredding.
2. Sort out the bills & financial related statements into the bills sorter.
3. Pull out anything from friends such as cards or invitations to open with my husband.
4. Put the rest in the TO DO basket for later processing.
5. Tempt the cat out of the basket with treats. : )
6. Get the letter opener and pull out the shredder I keep out of the way next to my desk and the wastebasket. Get out the recycle basket I keep under my desk drawer.
7. Open and process everything. Usually 70% gets shredded or tossed. The rest gets filed immediately in one of the following:
- Desk drawer financial filing system
- Desktop Active File system
- Monthly Tickler File (shown below) - in the pocket for the month when I'll need to refer to it (e.g., tickets to a show or a brochure / address printout for an event.) Of course, the event goes in the calendar before the material goes in the tickler file.
This plastic folder is great because it can just sit in my file drawer and I drop papers in it.
I have a similar kind of folder for my receipts which sorts by category. That one has neat hanging file rails so it hangs in the drawer like a pendaflex hanging folder! I love it.
If you have any tips or ideas to share, I'd love to hear them.
Have a wonderful Valentine's Day!
All the best,