I found another neat blog this week. Wendy Piersall's "e-Moms at Home" blog shares the trials and tribulations of being a mom and running a business from home, too! She also generously provides tips, ideas and other resources for helping to make your home-based business a success.
Even though I don’t have kids myself, I love kids and have a special interest in helping their Moms get organized and stress less so they have more time to have fun with their kids. So I like to learn all I can about the issues moms working from home and running home based businesses face.
For example, in one post she shares her dilemma on what to do when school is out. To quote her post:
“What can I do this summer to guarantee that I will accomplish everything I need, as well as create a fun and rewarding summer-break for my children?”
- Schedule time weekly for a fun outing we will all enjoy. I will commit to this by putting it on my work calendar, and by having them choose where we go. This way I have the time set aside, as well as the leverage I need to ensure I do what I say I will do
- Add small commitments to my weekly commitment lists to do little things with the kids to fill in the time between big outings
- Buy the kids a good sprinkler, sidewalk chalk, and other outdoor games to ensure they have the incentive to go outside and play rather than sitting in front of the TV
- Find another mom who needs some time away from the kids and swap weekly babysitting time so that we both have a set amount of hours every week that we can count on to take care of business tasks and errands
- Sign the kids up for swimming lessons and schedule my tasks during these times so that I can be productive while I don’t have internet access
- Get organized with the kids and their chores by putting together a chores chart. By doing this they will take more responsibility for their home, and I will get a little extra time to work
Wow. I still get surprised sometimes by the power of a good question.
Being a mom is challenging even if you aren't running a home-based business! Wendy provides great insights and strategies - thanks for the great blog and for your generous sharing of ideas and tips!
All the best,